5.11.2010

Gianduiotti in Torino


Rainy day in Turin, a typical "torinese" weather... I wandered around with a dear friend visiting my favorites places in the city. I have been in New York for two months and it was so wired to walk in the peaceful streets of my Italian city... wired but also so pleasant and reassuring.

The first place I have to visit when I come in Turin is an historic cafè in Piazza San Carlo, the Caval d'Brons (wich means bronze horse, referring to the bronze statue of Emanuele Filiberto in the middle of the piazza). I love this café and the piazza where it's set. Everything is so elegant, and quite, and so XIX siècle.
In the picture below you can see the café window with the symbol of Turin: il Gianduiotto! It's a chocolate made with cocoa and ...guess what? hazelnuts! The name comes from a mask of the commedia dell'arte Gianduia, the mask which represents Piemonte!



... and here is the REAL caffè (per me macchiato, grazie!). I mean, the american one is not that bad, but let me say that this is the only coffee which can wake me up and gives me the sense of "break"... :)



Another amazing shop in this piazza is Paissa, a well known nineteenth century food shop of the city where you can find unique delicatessens, Lenticchie di Castelluccio, Barolo Chinato, ... and of course Pasta!


2 comments:

  1. Noemi! Che bello questo piccolo reportage dalla tua patria ma vista con occhi nuovi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. in effetti tornare nella propria città dopo aver vissuto in un'atmosfera completamente diversa è un'esperienza unica... un misto di sensazioni stranissime. Spero di vederti presto! Adesso combiniamo con Ila/pencil...!

    ReplyDelete