4.26.2010

Cook the book! - 2 -

Buongiorno!
Welcome to the second "Cook the Book" column of this blog. The book I want to propose you today is written by an amazing Italian chef who owns a restaurant in London: Giorgio Locatelli.
I first bought this book in Italy, by chance. I was wandering about in the cooking section of a bookshop when I saw this book, with an extra discount (it's written in English ... ). The title caught my attention, it's "Made in Italy. Food and Stories". And in fact it is about that, food and stories.
As I truly believe, cooking is not only a matter of ingredients, but it's also a fact of memories. We cook what our mothers and grandmothers thought us. Every recipe brings in itself a memory of a definite person, place or time, and cooking is like recreating all that through flavors and smells. This is what you will find in Giorgio's book. It is a wonderful cookbook, and it's also the story of his Italy. Every chapter analyzes a part of the meal, from "Antipasti" to "Dolci" and for each section there are several in-depth examination of the ingredients, the techniques, and the Italian customs.

I'm sure you will fall in love with this book ...
"la Convivialità - (...) is the word I use most to explain the way Italians feel about food. For us the sign of welcome is to feed people. At the heart of all cooking, whether you are rich or poor, is the spirit of conviviality, the pleasure that comes from sharing a meal with others. And there is no enjoyment of food without quality."
Giorgio Locatelli



No comments:

Post a Comment